Saturday, July 24, 2010

Couch to 5k- Week 1:Day 1

I have done it. I started the Couch to 5k program. Basically I walked for a five minute warm-up, I "ran" for 60 seconds, walked for 90 seconds, did the 60-90 thing 8 times, and cooled down with a 5 minute cool down. It doesn't SOUND hard, it sounds totally do-able, but let me give you the real scoop.

I haven't really RUN since I was a sophomore in high school and I was in weight training. I have walked, I have jogged, and I have pretended to run, but I haven't run since I was forced to 6 years ago. For the first time in 6 years, I ran for 8 minutes. Granted, they weren't consecutive minutes. Granted, 8 minutes isn't a long time. Granted, a turtle probably could have passed me. But the fact remains, I ran 8 minutes.

Thankfully, my sister found these awesome podcasts that tell you when to walk and when to jog so that I wasn't having to focus on that. However, the flip side to not paying attention to the time is that it gives you the ability to solely focus all of your attention on the fact that your calves are burning, you are drenched in sweat, and you aren't quite sure if your feet are still attached to your body or not.

Don't get me wrong, I feel very, very accomplished right now, but this is going to be one loooong road from couch to 5k.

No comments:

Post a Comment