Monday, August 23, 2010

Couch to 5k- Week 4: Day 1

I DID IT!

Today scared the crap out of me. I ran on Thursday like I said that I would, doing week 3's routine an extra time; however, I did walk the 2nd 1.5 minute run. I didn't run Friday again, and I obviously didn't start week 4 on Saturday. I know it is a lame excuse, but my sister called me on Saturday morning (Happy 25gth birthday, Cassandra!) and she was able to get her sweet puppy Penny early. Being the dog expert I am, she wanted me to go to get dog supplies with her before she picked Penny up. We already had plans to hang out that night so I just spent the day at my parent's house with Cassandra playing with her puppy, so there was no time for me to run on Saturday.

Anyways, I guess why I didn't run isn't as important as the fact that I did run this evening. I was scared of this week's routine (5 minute walk, 3 minute run, 1.5 minute walk, 5 minute run, 2.5 minute walk, 3 minute run, 1.5 minute walk, 5 minute run, 7.5 minute walk) because I was not doing so hot with the three minute runs already and if I wasn't doing so well with 3 minute runs, how on earth was I going to do a 5 minute run? I am very proud of myself for doing this, which probably seems like such a small accomplishment, but I have to give myself credit. It really looked like it might pour down on me today when I went out, but then I just told myself that if it rained, it would be like getting a free cool down :) The podcast for this week was put together really well. It was all very upbeat music that kept you moving. Some of the other weeks had songs that we a little lower tempo and it was hard to keep moving when you weren't aided by the music, but I really liked this week's podcast.

Of course there were times that I felt like I wasn't going to make it. During the first three minute run I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to complete the schedule today because my chest felt very heavy and it was hard to breathe- like the air was thick or something. Then of course, the 5 minute runs felt like they would NEVER end. During the last run, my right foot got all numb like it did a few weeks ago and that made running pretty uncomfortable, but I pushed through and I successfully did this week's routine. Go me!

No comments:

Post a Comment