Thursday, August 12, 2010

Sundays At Tiffany's

Yesterday morning I had finished Eat Pray Love, and was waiting for my books that I had ordered from Amazaon (The Insulin Resistance Diet, Women Food God) and I needed something to read. I had to go to the car shop and have two tires replaced and there was no way that I was waiting an hour and a half with nothing to do! My Aunt had recently given me several of her old novels, as she is trying to clear out the clutter and make room for the baby, and this book Sundays At Tiffany's was among them.

Now I will willfully admit that the plot line sounds extremely cheesy, this I cannot deny. It starts with a little girl who has an imaginary friend to help her through her childhood difficulties (absentee father, mother who is more preoccupied with her own love life and career, etc). This imaginary friend must leave her once she turns nine, but she isn't supposed to remember anything about him. She does in fact remember this imaginary friend, grows up and writes a broadway show about it. When she is in her thirties, she runs into this imaginary friend (who has now become real) and they fall in love.... and they all live happily ever after.

If you are into the fantastical, love story type of situation, this book is definitely for you. As for me, I prefer a more realistic love story... but then again, what love story really is realistic? How often do those Nicholas Sparks romances actually happen? I will admit, however, that this book was certainly a page turner. James Patterson does have a way with words and it was a very light and easy read. I do think the situation with Micheal- his job, how it works, and how he ended up becoming human- could have used a little more development. I understand that they are trying to keep the mysterious side of it going, but I just felt like I needed a little bit more. I also think the relationship between Jane and her mother needed more development; there was enough about why it was such a strained relationship, but there was really never any information why Jane was so eager to please her mother and how her and her mother could have had the resolution they did at the end of the book. Just a few thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment